Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day Five - College Fjord


Woke up early, anyway. It finally feels colder but I don’t know the temperature. My guess would be low 50s. Took more pictures of the ridiculously amazing scenery. It was still overcast but the naturalist said it’s actually very clear because the tops of the mountains and glaciers are visible. They reflected in the clear water of the cove and it was totally breathtaking. She told us that we were 4½ miles out from Harvard Glacier at the mouth of the fjord, which is much closer than they usually get. I looked up the name of the area and learned that it's called College Fjord because exploration of the area was funded by the Ivy League schools. Along with Harvard Glacier, there are glaciers named for Bryn Mawr, Wellesley, Yale and others. Glacier ice is far more dense than other ice and is a striking, bright blue. I have space on my memory card for over 800 pictures and at this rate I might take almost that many. I hope my camera batteries last the trip!!

Went to the show called “Piano Man.” It was cute. It’s now almost 10pm and I’m starting to see blue sky for the first time in two days. This is one of the only times in my life when awesome is one of the only truly appropriate words to describe what I’m looking at. It’s hard to believe it could get any better. I can’t imagine what the Garden of Eden could have been like, if this is the fallen world. Just incredible.

1 comment:

istwenty63 said...

Oh, Anniemj! These are gorgeous...you are right...they don't even look real. You sound like you had a great time. I haven't had time to read all the posts but am looking forward to it. Thanks so much for sharing. I put my book on lulu.com. You can go there and type in Lambie and Bear or my name to view.

Much love and glad you are back
Jean